Established in October 1959, CSIO was chartered to stimulate the growth of indigenous instrument industry in the country through development of contemporary technologies and other scientific & technological assistance.
Initially located at New Delhi, CSIO moved to Chandigarh (the City Beautiful) in 1962. CSIO Campus (spread over an area of approximately 120 acres) comprises of Office Buildings, R&D Laboratories, Indo-Swiss Training Centre and a Housing Complex. An austere four-story building and the accompanying workshops were inaugurated in December 1967.Another four-story block was added in 1976 for housing R&D Divisions,Library, etc. During mid-eighties, the laboratory buildings and infrastructural facilities were modernized in order to gear the Institute towards taking up development projects in challenging and emerging areas of technology.
A separate Administrative Block was inaugurated in September 1994.
With a view to meeting the growing demand of well trained instrument technologists, Indo-Swiss Training Centre (ISTC) was started in December 1963 with the co-operation of Swiss Foundation for Technical Assistance, Zurich, Switzerland.